Thermador Oven Smoking or Strange Odors
While some oven smells aren’t a cause for concern, others may require immediate action. When your Thermador oven smells bad, the following guide to common odors can help identify and eliminate problems.
New Thermador Oven Smells
Many oven interiors are coated with factory-applied oils to protect them during shipping. These oils may create a burning smell and even result in smoke when the oven is used for the first time. Is new oven smell dangerous? These odors are rarely a cause for alarm and should dissipate after the first few uses. They can also be prevented or eliminated with one of several simple methods.
Use the following tips to remove protective interior coatings and new Thermador oven smells:
- Wipe down the interior with soap and water: Dip a clean cloth or paper towel in hot soapy water and wipe down the oven’s interior walls before its first use.
- Complete a “burn off:” To burn off the protective coatings, set the oven to 350℉ and allow it to remain on for 15 minutes before cooking.
- Use the self-clean cycle: Running the self-clean cycle before the oven’s first use can effectively remove any protective coatings.
Burning Plastic Smell In Thermador Oven
A burning plastic smell can occur in both new and used ovens from several possible sources.
Here’s why either a new or used Thermador oven smells like burning plastic:
- New ovens: When used for the first time a burning or chemical smell from oven may come from its insulation. The odor should dissipate within a few minutes. If the odor continues, check the oven for packing materials that may be left inside. Zip ties and plastic wrapping can emit this odor when exposed to the oven’s heat.
- Used ovens: Leaving plastic cookware or utensils in a hot oven will cause them to melt and emit a burning smell. If there is melted plastic in the oven, it can be carefully scooped away with a spoon while still hot. Alternatively, it can be scraped off with a knife once cooled. If there is no melted plastic inside the oven but your Thermador oven smells bad, check the oven’s wiring once it has cooled. If the plastic sheath around the wiring breaks down, it can emit a burning smell and requires a professional repair.
Why Does My Thermador Oven Smell Like Gas?
A new Thermador oven may smell briefly like gas when first turned on. Often, a small amount of gas is released before the first ignition. This odor is normal and should disappear after a few minutes.
If your Thermador oven smells like gas and it’s not new, it requires an immediate response:
- If the oven is on when it smells like gas: Turn the oven and its gas connection off immediately. Refrain from using the oven again until it can be assessed by a professional appliance repair service.
- If the oven is off when it smells like gas: This situation may signify a leak in your home gas connection or the oven. As this is potentially dangerous, it’s necessary to leave your home immediately. Contact your local gas company or appliance repair service and require emergent assistance before re-entering your home.
Sulfur Or Rotten Egg Odor Coming From Oven
A sulfur or rotten egg smell from your oven may indicate unsafe conditions. Gas companies purposely scent the gas to alert you of a potential gas leak. If you smell sulfur or rotten egg odor coming from your oven, turn off the oven, open your windows, and call your gas supplier immediately. Evacuate your home of humans and pets until the gas company is able to resolve the leak.Schedule Appointment