GE Dishwasher Error Code: FTD or F56
The dishwasher did not drain. Check the drain hose, air gap, and disposer.
Check for a blockage:
- Make sure there is not any paper or large object covering or blocking the sump area in the rear of the tub. Clear out any large pieces of food from the bottom of the dishwasher like noodles, lettuce, bones, etc.
- Check the drain hose where it connects below the sink for a blockage or a kink in the hose. New dishwashers come with a white corrugated drain hose which should be used. Re-using old, worn out drain hoses may promote kinking or a blockage.
- Make sure the kitchen sink drain is not clogged. If a disposer is installed, run the disposer to clear the drain system. Do not put your hands into the garbage disposer to check it as a serious injury could occur. You should always turn on your garbage disposer prior to running the dishwasher to clean out any food or debris within the drain system.
- If an air gap is installed with the dishwasher drain plumbing, remove the cap on the air gap and clean out any build-up of debris. Clearing the air gap will allow water to flow better as the dishwasher drains.
- If a disposer was recently installed or replaced, make sure the drain plug inside the disposer was removed. Instructions for removing the drain plug are in the disposer’s installation instructions.